Govt making further benefits cuts

Are members aware of this recent development? The article is behind the FT paywall ( I subscribe) and I can only post one image at a time here so I’ll put key screenshots in comments below. The unions are challenging it of course but given the hostility of a large proportion of voters to disabled people plus the government’s genuine need to either reduce spending or increase taxes the outlook isn’t good for those on benefits. 

Parents
  • I'm unable to read the full FT article Cloud Factory, but I remember hearing on the news a few months ago (after the Spring Budget) about a White Paper relating to disability benefits and assessments. My understanding back then was that it would be rolled out gradually.

Approximately 12 months ago, my UC work coach advised me to request a Work Capability Assessment. This was because I had been referred to DWP Work & Health Programme, and came close to having a breakdown. The impression given was that it was tailored to the individual, but what I experienced in reality was different. From my perspective, I felt like I was being expected to sprint before I'd learned to walk, with the emphasis seeming to be more on work than health.

• I'm unable to read the full FT article Cloud Factory, but I remember hearing on the news a few months ago (after the Spring Budget) about a White Paper relating to disability benefits and assessments. My understanding back then was that it would be rolled out gradually.

Approximately 12 months ago, my UC work coach advised me to request a Work Capability Assessment. This was because I had been referred to DWP Work & Health Programme, and came close to having a breakdown. The impression given was that it was tailored to the individual, but what I experienced in reality was different. From my perspective, I felt like I was being expected to sprint before I'd learned to walk, with the emphasis seeming to be more on work than health.

Children
  • I’m so sorry to read this Sparkly, but sadly not surprised, I have friends who have experienced similar treatment to you and it is devastating. You are right of course that the emphasis is on work rather than health, this is wrong but inevitable given that the majority voted the Tories in on this very premis.