What are the negative aspects of diagnosis?

If it's on the system, will it affect your chances of getting as loan or a mortgage etc?

Parents
  • No. Apart from anything else it’s entirely up to you normally whether you disclose it or not. We are not as bad as China yet where the state knows or tries to know everything about everyone.

One minor(?) thing to be aware of is that if you drive you have to notify DVLA that you are autistic but ONLY if your autism effects your driving. You can be fined if you have an accident and you haven’t disclosed your autism but again how are they going to know unless your autism was a contributing factor to the accident. It’s therefore up to you whether or not to notify DVLA or not. If I drove I probably would notify DVLA because my autism probably would effect my driving and I’m also bipolar which has to be notified regardless anyway but other autistic people may be able to drive as well if not better than your average driver - it possibly depends whether driving is something which interests you and which will therefore keep your attention or not.

• No. Apart from anything else it’s entirely up to you normally whether you disclose it or not. We are not as bad as China yet where the state knows or tries to know everything about everyone.

One minor(?) thing to be aware of is that if you drive you have to notify DVLA that you are autistic but ONLY if your autism effects your driving. You can be fined if you have an accident and you haven’t disclosed your autism but again how are they going to know unless your autism was a contributing factor to the accident. It’s therefore up to you whether or not to notify DVLA or not. If I drove I probably would notify DVLA because my autism probably would effect my driving and I’m also bipolar which has to be notified regardless anyway but other autistic people may be able to drive as well if not better than your average driver - it possibly depends whether driving is something which interests you and which will therefore keep your attention or not.

Children
No Data