What are the negative aspects of diagnosis?

If it's on the system, will it affect your chances of getting as loan or a mortgage etc?

• When you apply for a loan or mortgage the banks check with credit reference agencies. Their systems do not have any links with health systems, so there is no way they would know if you are autistic or not. Even if the banks are aware they should still use the same criteria to assess as for everyone else.

In theory it's possible that life insurance could be more expensive for autistic people, as statistically the average age of death is lower. There could also be an impact on things like travel insurance, if they consider autism to be a pre existing health condition.

• Technically not no, as that would be discrimination. However negatives I've seen myself is being treated differently by people when they know you have autism.

• Similarly it can prevent you from serving in the armed forces but unless they specifically ask you about it or you tell them how are they going to know?

• It can prevent migration to certain countries like Australia I believe.

• No. Apart from anything else it’s entirely up to you normally whether you disclose it or not. We are not as bad as China yet where the state knows or tries to know everything about everyone.

One minor(?) thing to be aware of is that if you drive you have to notify DVLA that you are autistic but ONLY if your autism effects your driving. You can be fined if you have an accident and you haven’t disclosed your autism but again how are they going to know unless your autism was a contributing factor to the accident. It’s therefore up to you whether or not to notify DVLA or not. If I drove I probably would notify DVLA because my autism probably would effect my driving and I’m also bipolar which has to be notified regardless anyway but other autistic people may be able to drive as well if not better than your average driver - it possibly depends whether driving is something which interests you and which will therefore keep your attention or not.

• I'm not all that good with this sort of stuff, but surely not? That sounds highly discriminatory and illegal if so.