On the beginning of my journey.

I have been referred now by my doctor, I am 51 years old, I know it’s quite late in my life but I want to find out, my 20 year old daughter has recently been diagnosed autistic so it’s likely that I have it too. I want to know why I got bullied at school and why my peers don’t get me and why I come across as rude and silly sometimes, I’m also quite immature for my age which is probably also a trait, is there anyone else with similar circumstances on here.

Parents
  • Yep I am 53 and awaiting diagnosis. Was bullied quite a bit, primary and junior were ok because I had grown up with those kids. Secondary school was hell, as was any time I was expected to play with kids I didn't know. I always liked to be with adults as a kid as they did not bully me. We grew up in an era where nobody had a clue about ASD. Unless you were a disruptive kid you were ignored by the system. I was a 'people pleaser' would genrally do anything to just fit in and be left alone. 

My wife oftern says I come acoss as rune. This is normally when I am frustrated by events and don't have the brain space to construct sentences and I just blurt out things very bluntly. I have always been silly and immauture, probabbaly why I never wanted kids, just not grown up enough and never will be.

I don't know how long you were told that the assment would take but look at 'NHS choices'. Your GP may push back like mine did but it can lead to a much quicker diagnosis through a private company but paid for by your GP. Good luck.

• Yep I am 53 and awaiting diagnosis. Was bullied quite a bit, primary and junior were ok because I had grown up with those kids. Secondary school was hell, as was any time I was expected to play with kids I didn't know. I always liked to be with adults as a kid as they did not bully me. We grew up in an era where nobody had a clue about ASD. Unless you were a disruptive kid you were ignored by the system. I was a 'people pleaser' would genrally do anything to just fit in and be left alone. 

My wife oftern says I come acoss as rune. This is normally when I am frustrated by events and don't have the brain space to construct sentences and I just blurt out things very bluntly. I have always been silly and immauture, probabbaly why I never wanted kids, just not grown up enough and never will be.

I don't know how long you were told that the assment would take but look at 'NHS choices'. Your GP may push back like mine did but it can lead to a much quicker diagnosis through a private company but paid for by your GP. Good luck.

Children
No Data