Personal development in communication advice needed

Hello,

It has come to my attention over the past few months that I need to improve my communications skills, as I fear this will hinder my future prospects career wise and in personal life. I have always had issues with communication since childhood, this was excused as being shy and anxiety. 

I find it difficult to reach out and ask for help, to verbalise any decisions I make (or when trying to make them), speak in a group setting regardless if it's face-to-face or on a call (e.g. teams or skype), talk when I don't think what I say has any value or is unnecessary. 

For example, the last one is has been a big problem as of late. It feels as I am physically unable to talk about stuff I deem trivial, or if I know my opinion doesn't really hold any value. So much, I have resorted to completely avoiding the situation, which is getting me in quite a bit of trouble. 

I have had a little look online about how to develop communication skills as an autistic person, but I don't know where to start. I am unsure of therapy yet, although I may pursue this later down the line, I just haven't had much luck with therapists yet which is why I'm reluctant to start there. What books or websites would you recommend? Any advice? I really would appreciate it.

I noticed that some of the tips on how to deal with this would be that some people find it easier to continue the conversation written down rather than verbally, which I do find much easier (and prefer) but I am more interested in trying to help in the situation where written communication is not possible. 

Apologies if the format is not pleasant, I haven't posted much on this forum... yet Laughing

Parents
  • I used to be incredibly shy. It's gonna sound annoying but I literally just got over this by practicing because I had to. I needed help with my mental health and it required a lot of meetings and phone calls and I just got used to it over time. Now I'm quite good and have even done a little bit of public speaking at events for my university.

• I used to be incredibly shy. It's gonna sound annoying but I literally just got over this by practicing because I had to. I needed help with my mental health and it required a lot of meetings and phone calls and I just got used to it over time. Now I'm quite good and have even done a little bit of public speaking at events for my university.

Children
No Data