Anxious About Work

I'm feeling anxious about going to work on Monday. This will be my second time working after a nearly 5 year break, and this time it's working with children rather than in an office. I love children and am excited but also extremely anxious as there's a lot of responsibilities there and I'll also have to work with four other women and that means I'll likely need to mask especially when my boss is there. I did so well during the trial days but now I'm filled with this sense of dread.

• Just don't go dropping chandeliers or kidnapping the kids on them and you will be fine (film / show reference in case anyone thought I was being serious).

Ha that made me laugh Joy I will do my best not to do that! I'm feeling less anxious and a lot more positive today.

Hopefully Monday will be a success.. thanks for the support and encouragement everyone. You have no idea how much it's helped.

• I'll also have to work with four other women and that means I'll likely need to mask especially when my boss is there. I did so well during the trial days but now I'm filled with this sense of dread.

If you did well in your trial day then you know you have what it takes. Believe in yourself and you will be fine.

As for masking - if you feel you must (I doubt anybody wants you to be less than your authentic self) then go half mask - be all Phantom of the Opera on them - well maybe Phantom Chocolate Lover of the Opera!

Just don't go dropping chandeliers or kidnapping the kids on them and you will be fine (film / show reference in case anyone thought I was being serious).

The biggest advantages of being unmasked are:

1 - it is highly sustainable and empowering for you so lots less anxiety

2 - People can get to see the real you so interactions will be more authentic.

3 - Being yourself means you have more energy to give to the job.

• Hi Katy, I'm the same, pretty much. I start work on Monday too, after 6 years. I'm going to work with SEND children at a school... I want to do it, but it's a huge change for me and it does feel overwhelming. 

I understand what you're saying. I.hope it goes well on Monday for you Blush

• I'm sorry you're feeling anxious about this.

I can definitely understand why but I think you're being really negative towards yourself here.

Why would you need to mask? It sounds like you did the trial day and it went really well. Your boss must have been impressed or you wouldn't have been offered to go back ^^

You should make a list of all the fun things you're going to do there on Monday, fun games you can play with the kids, a list of the positives about yourself as well.

Really don't worry. You've done it before you know you can do this and you know we are all going to be rooting for you.

Relax and enjoy today and your weekend. You've got

this! :)