Real Dislike of Reading.

Afternoon,

Thank you for the continued support in my journey of understanding me as opposed to the expected autism diagnosis some time in the future.

I did a search on reading and the first few pages were all topics about what books is being read, enjoyment, support to help read better etc.. but...

I have a sever dislike of reading, anxiety kicks in, can't follow the text and often have to repeat pages and often going back a couple of nights so I gave up many years ago and have never tried... I can list the books I have read 1990-2023 as:

6no. Dargonlance books.

Eartquake (my aged 16 English Literature choice. It had 84 pages as opposed to other pupils reading One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest, Pride and Prejudice and so on.

Charles Bronson autobiography.

I enjoy comics (still) and read books with illustrations and punchy points of info.

I wonder if it is a me thing, ADHD (didn;t realise it was in connection with autism) or autism or perhaps something completely different.

Around 8no. books in 32 years always has friends and people rise an eyebrow and open mouthed when I say I hate reading.

Thanks.

Parents
  • I love reading, but I also have to frequently re-read a paragraph I have just read to make sure I have taken it in.  As such I generally get through books slowly.  But then there’s no rush, so don’t worry about how long it takes you.

I have always loved comics, and I still do to this day and always will.

• I love reading, but I also have to frequently re-read a paragraph I have just read to make sure I have taken it in.  As such I generally get through books slowly.  But then there’s no rush, so don’t worry about how long it takes you.

I have always loved comics, and I still do to this day and always will.

Children