Eye Contact

Following a recent discussion I note that some people say they have learnt how to do eye contact. My question is how do you do it?

I have been asked if I am listening as the only way I can consciously try is by looking to the side of someone or looking at a nose or tie. If I look towards someone's eyes I feel like I am staring so then look away.

Parents
  • I don't actually make eye contact very often- I look at people's eyebrows and that seems to be close enough for them not to notice the difference. I don't find eye contact uncomfortable as such, I just can't concentrate on what someone is saying if I do it, though I'm not sure if that's an inherent issue with eye contact for me or just because all my mental energy goes on monitoring my behaviour while I'm doing it.

Anyway, just looking in roughly the right direction seems to be acceptable most of the time so I don't worry too much about making 'proper' eye contact, I think people just want some kind of indication that we're listening.

• I look at people's eyebrows and that seems to be close enough for them not to notice the difference.

That's a good idea! Blush

Reply Children
No Data