Eye Contact

Following a recent discussion I note that some people say they have learnt how to do eye contact. My question is how do you do it?

I have been asked if I am listening as the only way I can consciously try is by looking to the side of someone or looking at a nose or tie. If I look towards someone's eyes I feel like I am staring so then look away.

Parents
  • The real difficulty I found with eye contact, is the timing. Too much, too little, or badly timed eye contact all make neurotypical people uncomfortable. Over the years I have found what most people are comfortable with. I would add that looking someone in the eyes while listening to them is not necessary to indicate that you are listening, providing you nod and or make 'noises of agreement' at appropriate moments.

• The real difficulty I found with eye contact, is the timing. Too much, too little, or badly timed eye contact all make neurotypical people uncomfortable. Over the years I have found what most people are comfortable with. I would add that looking someone in the eyes while listening to them is not necessary to indicate that you are listening, providing you nod and or make 'noises of agreement' at appropriate moments.

Children
No Data