Narcotics Anonymous meetings

Does anyone know if there are any Narcotics Anonymous meetings (or similar) specific for autistic or neurodivergent?

Parents
  • I don't know of any specifically for us but I know there are plenty of autistic people who participate in the various Anonymous meetings.

It may be worthwhile joining some online groups and get a feel for them - they are quite accepting and tolerant spaces so you are unlikely to encounter many issues.

I prefer these to face to face meetings.

For me the one big turn off from them was that most are focussed around the 12 step programmes and these have a strong religious element to them. You can work the steps without having to believe in a god but quite a lot of it makes little sense if you do.

• I don't know of any specifically for us but I know there are plenty of autistic people who participate in the various Anonymous meetings.

It may be worthwhile joining some online groups and get a feel for them - they are quite accepting and tolerant spaces so you are unlikely to encounter many issues.

I prefer these to face to face meetings.

For me the one big turn off from them was that most are focussed around the 12 step programmes and these have a strong religious element to them. You can work the steps without having to believe in a god but quite a lot of it makes little sense if you do.

Children
  • This is very useful, Iain. Thank you very much.

And yes. The 12-step programme is a bit critical for me, precisely for the reasons you have mentioned. I don't trust too much in those types of programmes, but to have a place in which I can go at least to avoid doing a stupid thing is important itself. I was ten years sober, and I'm having a hard time. I will try with an online meeting. I wanted to do it today but... I don't know what happened. I had an "allisticphoby" moment, I suppose.

Thank you a lot for your reply Slight smile