Relationships

What's your experience been?

I haven't been in a relationship before but I'm considering it, like doing online dating. But I've read how relationships don't have a high success rate for autistic people.

Parents
  • Honestly, it's been far more successful for me since I started a relationship with another neurodivergent person, although neither of us knew that when we started dating. I'm diagnosed autistic, my partner is undiagnosed but most likely AuDHD. We think and communicate in similar ways so that makes life a lot easier, especially since we're both pretty direct and honest- we occasionally annoy each other short-term by pointing out stuff that bothers us but it's worth it for longer-term improvements, however small!

Ultimately relationships take work and good communication, so a big part of the problem for autistic people is that other folks don't always understand the way we discuss issues OR the way we demonstrate our love (and vice versa). I do feel that my partner and I got a head start on the communication due to us both understanding how the other thinks, but if everyone involved is committed to trying to understand each other, the type of mind you have doesn't necessarily matter so much.

• Snap! I'm autistic, my wife is self-diagnosed AuDHD. We get on well due to similar thought and communication patterns and compatible ways of showing affection.

Reply Children
No Data