Relationships

What's your experience been?

I haven't been in a relationship before but I'm considering it, like doing online dating. But I've read how relationships don't have a high success rate for autistic people.

Parents
  • Erm.. yes I suppose.. Ive had a degree of exposure to relationship and to a degree I’ve become competent. But I don’t believe I have exposed myself to one to the degree that I’ve been completely-satisfied, so whilst I am more-reluctant to achieve that same level again, due to the time and effort it would take, I am still wanting of greater-intimacy with the right person.

People ultimately are guarded and are reluctant to be intimate for reason of attraction or fear, because autists often have difficulty with unwritten rules, we are more likely to repel others. More so still we have a desire to have a genuine-interest with our partners so that adds another layer of difficulty when paired with poor theory-of-mind. 

I think relationships are difficult terrain for autists, but we should still remain open, we should still pursue them.. technically a high success-rate is less of an issue over time.

• Erm.. yes I suppose.. Ive had a degree of exposure to relationship and to a degree I’ve become competent. But I don’t believe I have exposed myself to one to the degree that I’ve been completely-satisfied, so whilst I am more-reluctant to achieve that same level again, due to the time and effort it would take, I am still wanting of greater-intimacy with the right person.

People ultimately are guarded and are reluctant to be intimate for reason of attraction or fear, because autists often have difficulty with unwritten rules, we are more likely to repel others. More so still we have a desire to have a genuine-interest with our partners so that adds another layer of difficulty when paired with poor theory-of-mind. 

I think relationships are difficult terrain for autists, but we should still remain open, we should still pursue them.. technically a high success-rate is less of an issue over time.

Children