Relationships

What's your experience been?

I haven't been in a relationship before but I'm considering it, like doing online dating. But I've read how relationships don't have a high success rate for autistic people.

Parents
  • I met a guy online who I thought the world of. Unfortunately, my Autism being somewhat severe in places made it really hard-going as he was keen straight away and a bit obsessive – he also had Autism, so I think he found it difficult to give me space and understand how I was feeling. Anyway eventually I broke it off but he messaged me again, and then again... and then later on accused me of not being genuine because I broke it off, even though he messaged me again to get back in touch, and because I wouldn’t share my phone number, which IMO is only wise and safe.

I am disappointed it didn’t work out because I really liked him but there was some Red Flags, like his not giving me space and then suddenly accusing me of not being genuine. Even said I was messing him around like a puppet on a string which I found more than hurtful. But despite it all I loved him and had he been patient and more understanding to my own needs and feelings, we might still be together now. I am difficult to deal with, I know I am, but I feel hurt that he treated me that way and didn’t give me time to adjust to a relationship.

I don’t know if I’ll try another relationship again.

I think go for it if you want to, my experience wasn’t great but yours might be different. Just be careful and don’t be upset if it doesn’t work out.

• I met a guy online who I thought the world of. Unfortunately, my Autism being somewhat severe in places made it really hard-going as he was keen straight away and a bit obsessive – he also had Autism, so I think he found it difficult to give me space and understand how I was feeling. Anyway eventually I broke it off but he messaged me again, and then again... and then later on accused me of not being genuine because I broke it off, even though he messaged me again to get back in touch, and because I wouldn’t share my phone number, which IMO is only wise and safe.

I am disappointed it didn’t work out because I really liked him but there was some Red Flags, like his not giving me space and then suddenly accusing me of not being genuine. Even said I was messing him around like a puppet on a string which I found more than hurtful. But despite it all I loved him and had he been patient and more understanding to my own needs and feelings, we might still be together now. I am difficult to deal with, I know I am, but I feel hurt that he treated me that way and didn’t give me time to adjust to a relationship.

I don’t know if I’ll try another relationship again.

I think go for it if you want to, my experience wasn’t great but yours might be different. Just be careful and don’t be upset if it doesn’t work out.

Children
No Data