Work wants me to change where I sit

My workplace is trying to be really accommodating to my disabilities. I have seizures, hearing loss and some joint issues (yes I won the genetic lottery). Our office usually hot desks which means we can sit anywhere we like however, HR has recommended I get an assigned desk set up for me only. 

The problem is I've been working at this company for a year already and have my seat. I always sit there. People will literally move when I come in to the office (I work out off the office sometimes visiting other sites). It's my seat. My manager was being really supportive but just didn't get it. He thinks that it's "only one move" and "the new seat will become your seat".

I don't want to move. The idea stresses me out. Currently, I set up on a picnic table where I can spread all my stuff out, there aren't loads of people around me, but if people do need to talk to me I can see them coming, there's a lot of open space if I do have a fit, and to be frank I've been there a year. I don't want to change now. The idea of it is stressing me out but I promised I'd think about it. 

It feels silly to be almost crying over a seat, but I don't understand how to communicate that I don't want to move. I've said it directly and indirectly, including the words "I am autistic, change is hard, I don't feel comfortable moving". 

Is there anything I can do or am I stuck with the move I don't want?

Parents
  • Hi Sybil, I am Number.

don't want to move. The idea stresses me out. Currently, I set up on a picnic table where I can spread all my stuff out, there aren't loads of people around me, but if people do need to talk to me I can see them coming, there's a lot of open space if I do have a fit, and to be frank I've been there a year. I don't want to change now. The idea of it is stressing me out

I have very good news for you......you don't need our help communicating your feelings to your company/manager.....because you have already cracked it yourself - you just haven't realised it!?

You have explained yourself very clearly, reasonably and succinctly above in your text that I have quoted.

If your company are as nice as you describe (and presuming that there are no practical or other reasons why you can't reasonably stay where you are) then all you need to do is repeat, verbatim, what you have written to us.  Perhaps also restate that you are autistic too.

Like you, I often THINK I have explained things both directly and indirectly to people, but in actual fact, I have not!  I overthink and can stress about words and communications too much.  Also, I very often find that neurotypical folk seem unable to grasp things that I find bleeding obvious!  Frankly, they can be far more dumb than we are!!

May I suggest that you don't give up....simply say (or write down) your own words precisely how you have written them.....and see what reaction you get.  If they say "sorry, but you need to move"...then simply ask WHY.

If you encounter further problems with this, then please do report back and perhaps we (or me) can help you think about this in more detail.

I SERIOUSLY understand the importance of the  physical attributes of a location if I am to work effectively, efficiently and happily.  It is extremely important to me.

I hope you can enjoy your Sunday without worrying too much about this.  I wish you success.

Kind regards

Number.

• Hi Sybil, I am Number.

don't want to move. The idea stresses me out. Currently, I set up on a picnic table where I can spread all my stuff out, there aren't loads of people around me, but if people do need to talk to me I can see them coming, there's a lot of open space if I do have a fit, and to be frank I've been there a year. I don't want to change now. The idea of it is stressing me out

I have very good news for you......you don't need our help communicating your feelings to your company/manager.....because you have already cracked it yourself - you just haven't realised it!?

You have explained yourself very clearly, reasonably and succinctly above in your text that I have quoted.

If your company are as nice as you describe (and presuming that there are no practical or other reasons why you can't reasonably stay where you are) then all you need to do is repeat, verbatim, what you have written to us.  Perhaps also restate that you are autistic too.

Like you, I often THINK I have explained things both directly and indirectly to people, but in actual fact, I have not!  I overthink and can stress about words and communications too much.  Also, I very often find that neurotypical folk seem unable to grasp things that I find bleeding obvious!  Frankly, they can be far more dumb than we are!!

May I suggest that you don't give up....simply say (or write down) your own words precisely how you have written them.....and see what reaction you get.  If they say "sorry, but you need to move"...then simply ask WHY.

If you encounter further problems with this, then please do report back and perhaps we (or me) can help you think about this in more detail.

I SERIOUSLY understand the importance of the  physical attributes of a location if I am to work effectively, efficiently and happily.  It is extremely important to me.

I hope you can enjoy your Sunday without worrying too much about this.  I wish you success.

Kind regards

Number.

Children
No Data