i think my jobs broken me

not sure if im having a mental breakdown or not, but my jobs been really shitty and my supervisor has acted like a *** for the entirety of my employment and is related to all the other supervisors so when he hates you they all gang up on you. he ran his shift *** and it really dunked on me. so many arguments with him and so many punishments and file notes and telling off for nothing all the time.

i reported him like 3 times now and all his *** just gets brushed off and at maximum they just made him apologise to me but he carried on and carried on giving me actual punishments and holding my career back despite being the hardest worker that can do everything and gets most done fastest.

in this recent dispute he suspended me but i managed to get a transfer temporary to this other shift that starts 7am and is so chill as it has no supervisors over it, its been so happy there and i get left alone, it made me feel what work supposed to be like, without being harrassed all the time. it was nice, my personality was brighter there. then just today manager told me i have to attend a disciplinery hearing tommorow and they will also discuss my shift times so i think not only am i being punished again but i might be moved back to the *** shift that feels so aweful and miserable.

immediately my mood changed from happy to really sad and depressed upon thought of potentially hearing i have to go back to that other shift. i dont know if that will be the cae but i will find out tommorow but the fact its a possibility and will be discussed tommorow destroyed my mood entirely and i had immense emotional pressure in my head and felt really bad even sick to the stomach.... then that bully supervisors brother came along and added salt in the wound by telling me that someone who i think is my friend from work on facebook has been ratting me in to try get me in trouble too. i couldnt take it, i had to just discretely walk off to the shitty portaloos they have and lock myself in. i cant control my emotions no more, ive been crying since i got home none stop uncontrolled, i think my workplace is making me very sick, my old shift, the thought of going back there. i want nothing to do with that or with the supervisors of it ever again. i cant stand even the thought of going back it just destroys my mood.

they know this though, in one of the many meetings they had to harrass and punish me i did break down crying, since then i can no longer seem to control my emotions. the fact i had to lock myself in a portaloo today proves its done something to me and i can no longer control my emotions on the issue of my old work shift that i might have to go back to. they did offer me eap work counselling but i just dont want to go back to that shift, but im not sure they care, we will have to see tommorow. but for sure i cant cope with this job no more if i have to go back to my original shift.

• They should not, but do, and this seems to suit a majority of people. With a pecking order someone has to get the crappy end of the stick to keep the rest in line, and the least socially popular guy is the safest kind of target.  

Unless you abolish the concept of Authority an it's resultant pecking order, then our only option is to grow a collective reputation of being to much trouble to mess with. It works well for other minority groups...

The only really viable system for human organised activity that I have observed outside of the authoritarian / pecking order thing is when people co-operate and leadership is assumed and yielded based on competence for the activity as it unfolds. 

• I used to be a lighting technician in the theatre. The job just really got to me. The constant change, the awful shows I had to endure for months on end, and the feeling I was being taken advantage of, because I never complained. In the end, I had what I now know was a full 'autistic meltdown', and I was advised to see my GP. That was in 2003, and I haven't worked since. I'm now a full-time carer for my wife. At least she appreciates me!

• You should start recording the bad interactions secretly so you have evidence that this is happening, and if you have any co workers that have witnessed this happen to you all this time who can be a witness you should look into the laws and whether this is even legal what they are doing to you and then you should sue. These people should not treat you this way 

• I am so sorry.

Virtual hugs.

Typical management expect you to do everything. They don't care about anything except profit. If you start to 'cost' them then you get disciplined.

I worked in a supermarket which was bad enough but this... this sounds like torture.

I'm so sorry you're experiencing this. I truly am.

• I discovered many, many years ago that we are all effectively slaves for at least 10 hours a day, and often without our realising it for much longer.

For some of you Caelus's situation will be more overt than your own, but if you ever let a conspiracist tell you how much of your time is spent dancing to someone else's tune, you'd be horrified and try desperately to unbelieve him. 

Caelus is bright and resourceful, he's got one job still, it's time to get another better one, I reckon.

Ever fancied gas fitting? it's quick to learn and pays well, plus you occasionally get fliriting or tea off the customers.

• Aah.. they’re toxic as hell.. tacit, malignant torturers..

• my concerns were mostly ignored, virtue signalled at for the first part but ignored and nothing changed. i even told them i felt suicidal and threatened to cut my wrists with the scissors at work and they just virtue signal at first but yet they continued to dole out heavy handed pointless punishments that they saw was causing me distress and confusion even after that.

• honestly i cant properly express to any of you how bad this company is to work for.
    some of you guessed amazon, but honestly its worse treatment than amazon, amazon is better than this, this is far worse.

the punishments here are so heavy handed and constant, their supervisors have nothing else to do it seems so they just make life difficult and harass everyone constantly. anything you can think of you can get a file not or disciplinary for, your not even allowed to be sick... if you have so much as 3 sick days off in a single year period you get a disciplinary. is that normal in companies? im sure it isnt.... you have a mobile phone? thats a file note you just got and your phone will be confiscated lol

have a bit of fun at work? talk to colleagues in the warehouse? nope, any fun you have will be twisted by supervisors to seem like you did a really evil act and you get punishment procedure against you, any talking you get told to shut up and shouted at for and threatened with disciplinary.

i cant really express how bad the place is as not even my words truly show it, theres alot more so much that its all easy to miss a great load of stuff, and because i havent really worked before theres likely alot of bad stuff that go over my head and currently think of as normal as i dont know much better... but its weird place, my parents in all their working life have never got file notes or disciplinaries.... while i have 2 file notes a suspension, a disciplinary and a final warning... my parents never got anything like this in all their working life, my parents have multiple days off sick a year and take their phones into work, that alone would get them so much punishments where i work here that they would be fired.

this company, it has a bad reputation, but it isnt the workers fault, the workers are good, its the supervisors fault, the managements fault. everyone says the same, but in the end its generally the couriers and other workers that get alot of the hit from the companies bad reputation, but this is all supervisor and management fault, its a really *** company that punishes staff so much and everyone here is really depressed. no other jobs though, likely company knows this and thats why they feel they can get away with such horrid behaviour and treatment of staff.

• you need a new job. It's almost September, start contacting City and Guilds. You can get a level 2 qualification for free: electrical installation, plumber, car mechanic, forklift driver, lathe operator and so on. They are all ASD friendly jobs if you can stand a noisy, smelly workplace. Human interaction is almost zero, and you can earn a ton of money. Get qualified and find a better job. Living as an unskilled labourer is not a good life.

• So, not even Amazon but a cheap knockoff of Amazon? I am really sorry m8.

• I've had the honour of Caelus attendance at my own little discord server, and his workplace trials and tribulations have been thoroughly documented over the last few months.

It's a textbook example of workplace abuse by pretty much everyone involved, apart form Caelus as far as we can determine.

I'm willing to take a hard copy, and testify that they've not been altered, IF there is a high powered lawyer available to help him fight his case.

He's been a bit "young minded" about it, and really tried to mount a solo defence, but he needs some clout now.

They seem to be going hard to force a constructive dismissal, and using his difference against him in a way I find all to familiar..

And like he says, he has a mortgage, if they manage to edge him out just as rates are rising, it'll ruin his future, so he's trapped unless he can use his smartness to "finesse" this.

If I were you Caelus I'd google "aptitude testing",and find out what things the tests say you are good at and consider which ones are right.

Then take your aptitudes and list all the jobs that fit them. 

FINALLY having got a list of jobs that you should be able to do, (knowing that you have "aptitude" for a job that you are applying for, helps enormously at interview, (please take my word for that) THEN find out what pays the best and go for that one whether it appeals to you or not. (Unless it's morally abhorrent to you, like "sales" jobs are for me. (I can do it, but it feels wrong.) 

I DID NOT follow this advice myself, and now wish I had.

• everyone says amazon, it models itself after amazon so i guess it does that well lol
    although people who came from amazon to here have actually said amazon was better, more professional and less work, easier and chilled. while this place is chaotic, balls to the wall, massive workload that really isnt represented in the wage totally not fair wage for the workload and expectations from us. the company has became a varified amazon prime deliver, so amazon prime are going to be late and *** now, which is a shame as amazon used to be good delivery.

• A recruiter tried to convince me to get a job at Amazon, by calling them autism-friendly, I laughed in their face..

• If you are working for Amazon do not be ashamed to hate it. That company is the most toxic work environment I have seen in my life, and I have seen plenty. Being unhappy in such an environment is a sign of mental health.

• Hi Caelus, hope you're okay. 

I have read the whole thread and I see you work for a parcel company. Surely there must be other parcel companies locally who you could go and work for to get away from this awful toxic environment? I am sure a lot of the skills required are transferable. Appreciate you don't want to just walk out given your financial pressures and commitments but looking for a similar job might be possible? 

GOOD LUCK x

• its a parcel company, think of the worst parcel company in the uk and you have a high chance of guessing it

• so yeah, interesting week.

i got 2 file notes, a suspension. a disciplinary and a final warning, plus a forced change of shift times to 4am starts, with only sunday and tuesday off.

but yeah, they was so kind to tell me im a hard worker and they like me and they gave me a stupid leaflet thing to access EAP services on their site to ..i dunno, flip through a powerpoint of how the company virtue signals for mental health lol

• could you get a union rep or professional advocate to come to the meeting with you?

I would deffo recommend this option - start keeping copies of all correspondence that has led to any disciplinary meetings and build up a complete case file (outside of work) of the harassment you have been exposed to.

Then if they do sack you, you can get a no-win-no-fee employment lawyer to sue them for wrongful dismissal and a whole raft of emotional trauma / diabled discrimination etc and this could well work out nicely to keep the mortgage paid for some time to come.

Being shot of the place is probably what you need, nd befor accepting another job, check the company our on the glassdoor ( https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/ ) to see what other / former employees say about the culture there.

This isn't legal advice of course - just what I would do if I were in your shoes.

• Oof.. I felt that comment..

• I had a 'Road to Damascus' job, at the COVID Lab in Antrim. In the end, I could only last three hours of my first twelve-hour day. It took too long for me to regown, after using the loo, and the mask left me breathless.

That was the straw, which broke the camel's back, for me; on everything.