Getting diagnosed as a (not that young) adult?

Hi, I'm getting an NHS assessment for ASC on Monday. I am nervous and not sure what the social protocol is. Do I need to prepare or just show up? I have social anxiety so this is also making me nervous. I'm 41 (could pass for 36 or 20 something according to colleagues), but obviously not a child or youth anymore.    

Parents
  • I was assessed 2 weeks ago and as a 51yr old it came as a shock that I was going to go through this.  The interview I had was handled sympathetically and the people assessing you will have been through hundreds of these with hundreds of people with anxiety such as yourself.  Good luck with everything.

•         I had a less than helpful meeting with a nurse way at the start of thinking of going for diagnosis. They just said it was my social anxiety. Then we moved house and therefore GP at the end of lockdowns and a simple econsult led to a referral. It was at this stage that I discovered that sympathy and kindness you talk of. The doctor was relaxed, casual, chatty. He also said it was a difference and a condition rather than a disease or disorder. He pointed me in the direction of Autism Initiatives. I had my first 1:1 and that man was lovely also. Slight smile

•         I had a less than helpful meeting with a nurse way at the start of thinking of going for diagnosis. They just said it was my social anxiety. Then we moved house and therefore GP at the end of lockdowns and a simple econsult led to a referral. It was at this stage that I discovered that sympathy and kindness you talk of. The doctor was relaxed, casual, chatty. He also said it was a difference and a condition rather than a disease or disorder. He pointed me in the direction of Autism Initiatives. I had my first 1:1 and that man was lovely also. Slight smile

Children
No Data