Accepting compliments

For anyone who used to struggle with this and managed to find it easier, how did you distinguish between a compliment seemingly not feeling genuine and one that does?

I'm well aware that my low self-esteem is the reason why I've struggled to respond to compliments and really take them in, and it's something I'm really working on. Sometimes I'd make a joke in response and it kills it somewhat.

There's probably an argument that adults tend to not pay people compliments unless they genuinely mean it - at that point in time anyway.

Parents
  • Practice saying thank you and will become easier eventually. 

Sometimes it's someone's way of giving what they can or trying to connect or seeing something worthwhile in you they appreciate. If it's questionable, you can always say thank you as a way of exiting the nonsense and let them worry about being indirect. :) 

• Practice saying thank you and will become easier eventually. 

Sometimes it's someone's way of giving what they can or trying to connect or seeing something worthwhile in you they appreciate. If it's questionable, you can always say thank you as a way of exiting the nonsense and let them worry about being indirect. :) 

Children
No Data