Accepting compliments

For anyone who used to struggle with this and managed to find it easier, how did you distinguish between a compliment seemingly not feeling genuine and one that does?

I'm well aware that my low self-esteem is the reason why I've struggled to respond to compliments and really take them in, and it's something I'm really working on. Sometimes I'd make a joke in response and it kills it somewhat.

There's probably an argument that adults tend to not pay people compliments unless they genuinely mean it - at that point in time anyway.

Parents
  • Compliments are tough, because there are a lot of unwritten social rules that surround them, if there is anything I know about autistic people, it’s that unwritten rules are a problem.  
    I just try to avoid it, if it comes naturally then fine, but yeah, I avoid it like I avoid the ‘birthday song’..

• Compliments are tough, because there are a lot of unwritten social rules that surround them, if there is anything I know about autistic people, it’s that unwritten rules are a problem.  
    I just try to avoid it, if it comes naturally then fine, but yeah, I avoid it like I avoid the ‘birthday song’..

Children