Accepting compliments

For anyone who used to struggle with this and managed to find it easier, how did you distinguish between a compliment seemingly not feeling genuine and one that does?

I'm well aware that my low self-esteem is the reason why I've struggled to respond to compliments and really take them in, and it's something I'm really working on. Sometimes I'd make a joke in response and it kills it somewhat.

There's probably an argument that adults tend to not pay people compliments unless they genuinely mean it - at that point in time anyway.

Parents
  • I find this difficult, I hate receiving compliments as they make me uncomfortable. I find them weird and can't tell if they're being genuine. I more than likely ignore them and pretend it didn't happen or depending on the situation and who it is I'll say something I like about them, like if they have nice hair or are wearing something that stands out. 

Genuine or not, I don't think you can go wrong with a simple "thank you" and move the conversation on :)

• I find this difficult, I hate receiving compliments as they make me uncomfortable. I find them weird and can't tell if they're being genuine. I more than likely ignore them and pretend it didn't happen or depending on the situation and who it is I'll say something I like about them, like if they have nice hair or are wearing something that stands out. 

Genuine or not, I don't think you can go wrong with a simple "thank you" and move the conversation on :)

Children
No Data