Act like someone else

I find myself having to act like someone else just to get through work and get on with colleagues and talk in the shops. Don't know if there's a term for it. I wish I could just be myself but I don't think I could get through the day if I did that.

Parents
  • Yes masking is a survival strategy we all do it. You can always be yourself on here though

• No thanks. The last thing I need is interaction with other aspies. I need guidance on how to be LESS aspie, not more

• I need guidance on how to be LESS aspie, not more

Please be aware that because autism is something you are, trying to be something different (through masking for example) will cause stress and anxiety.

It is quite possible to do this for some of us (I have been able to do it more or less effectively for the last 20 years) but it always comes at the cost of being emotionally drained and at risk of burnout.

If you want to do this then good luck but I think you will find making space to be more authentic to your self at times will be a great way to recharge.

• I need guidance on how to be LESS aspie, not more

Please be aware that because autism is something you are, trying to be something different (through masking for example) will cause stress and anxiety.

It is quite possible to do this for some of us (I have been able to do it more or less effectively for the last 20 years) but it always comes at the cost of being emotionally drained and at risk of burnout.

If you want to do this then good luck but I think you will find making space to be more authentic to your self at times will be a great way to recharge.

Children
No Data