51yr old Newly Diagnosed - How To Inform Parents ‍♂️

Hello,

Newly diagnosed 51yr old also been told I may display ADHD traits so awaiting assessment on this also.

Problem I have is what to tell my parents who may struggle with the fact they missed the signs and most likely say they do believe the diagnosis. Does anyone have any advice on how to break the news. Thanks.

Parents
  • Your caring for the feelings of your parents says something about you that is admirable.  That you feel that you have to "break the news" is something I can relate to in respect of telling my family although my parents both passed away long before I was diagnosed there was a sense of the news being "bad".  For me there was a bit of confusion shown about what this information was intended to mean when I told people and I'm on this website to in part try to work that out.  I felt that I needed to give the impression when telling that it was a positive thing (even though I'm still not sure myself!)  this seemed to help others.  These days am a bit more open about saying how it has its down side too - whilst being careful not to be appearing to going for sympathy rather than understanding that I'm most keen on :-)

• Your caring for the feelings of your parents says something about you that is admirable.  That you feel that you have to "break the news" is something I can relate to in respect of telling my family although my parents both passed away long before I was diagnosed there was a sense of the news being "bad".  For me there was a bit of confusion shown about what this information was intended to mean when I told people and I'm on this website to in part try to work that out.  I felt that I needed to give the impression when telling that it was a positive thing (even though I'm still not sure myself!)  this seemed to help others.  These days am a bit more open about saying how it has its down side too - whilst being careful not to be appearing to going for sympathy rather than understanding that I'm most keen on :-)

Children
No Data