51yr old Newly Diagnosed - How To Inform Parents ‍♂️

Hello,

Newly diagnosed 51yr old also been told I may display ADHD traits so awaiting assessment on this also.

Problem I have is what to tell my parents who may struggle with the fact they missed the signs and most likely say they do believe the diagnosis. Does anyone have any advice on how to break the news. Thanks.

Parents
  • I was diagnosed at 40. Since then I've toyed with the idea of telling my parents who are in their 70s. I realised it would help me but could triggering for them so have decided not to so far.

I think it could cause them to feel they have done something wrong on life as they aren't comfortable or familiar with discussing mental health as younger generations are.

I mostly got diagnosed to offer help to my 2 year old boy as he grows up, so telling my parents isn't really that useful to anyone I feel.

Still not sure though tbh

• I was diagnosed at 40. Since then I've toyed with the idea of telling my parents who are in their 70s. I realised it would help me but could triggering for them so have decided not to so far.

I think it could cause them to feel they have done something wrong on life as they aren't comfortable or familiar with discussing mental health as younger generations are.

I mostly got diagnosed to offer help to my 2 year old boy as he grows up, so telling my parents isn't really that useful to anyone I feel.

Still not sure though tbh

Children