51yr old Newly Diagnosed - How To Inform Parents ‍♂️

Hello,

Newly diagnosed 51yr old also been told I may display ADHD traits so awaiting assessment on this also.

Problem I have is what to tell my parents who may struggle with the fact they missed the signs and most likely say they do believe the diagnosis. Does anyone have any advice on how to break the news. Thanks.

Parents
  • My Mum was 78 in Jan 2022 when I told her of my autism diagnosis aged 57. I didn't give her much info beforehand, just that I was preparing for an apt and she didn't ask what it was about. I printed out info from the NAS website for her to read, and more recently she watched the programmes which Chris Packham presented. I felt the need to be understood by at least 1 family member, and my Mum has been very supportive. She even said she thinks she may be autistic too. You will have to decide whether or not to tell your parents, as if you tell them and they don't accept your diagnosis you may wish you hadn't told them at all. On the other hand they may be very supportive and understanding like my Mum is. It's not an easy decision. Good luck.

• Thank you for your advice. It helps.

Reply Children
No Data