Online Dating

Do you think this is a good idea?

I've read about it and people seem to like it but a lot of people don't. I worry because of my autism I might not be understood by a lot of people. My last boyfriend who was also autistic wasn't the nice guy I thought in the end and ended up treating me horrible.

I'm tempted to do online dating but I'm anxious about it but at the same time I don't want to be alone for the rest of my life. I want to live someone, be loved and maybe have some children one day.

Parents
  • Do you think this is a good idea?

It is a huge lottery unfortunately, but on the other hand it is the best way to find someone who is aligned with your interests or desires.

I would spend time looking into the reviews of the different dating sites as there are different focuses for each. Some are for hooking up for sex or whatever you are into, some are more casual dating and some are for trying to find a life partner.

Be sure what you actually want to find and go to the site best suited to you.

I would also send time learning a lot more about dating protocol as dates are difficult enough when they happen naturally but when you are going to one where the other person may have been through hundreds of such dates then you can struggle to understand what is going on.

If you are serious about kids then make sure this is discussed in the first few dates as part of the "what are your life goals" discussions - if the other person is really not into it then seriously think about using the "we don't really have the same long term plans for this to work" excuse and move onto the next person before you get too attached.

This will save a lot of pain later in life and since you are at the "shopping around" stage then it is best to get someone aligned with your ideals and plans.

This does not mean you cannot have some fun, mess around, do what you want to do for a while so long as this aligns with the other persons plans. You are only your age once so if you can, have fun, make memories and keep it in context.

If you are really nervous then get someone to help you prepare if you have a close friend or sibling. Having them nearby in case things go sideways during the date (eg the date is a jerk, you have a meltdown, you have an allergic reaction to the food or whatever) you have someone there who has your back.

Not something I would recommend for further dates though.

Oh, and remember to cyber stalk your date to see what they post on social media as they will always give a nice presentation of themselves for the date and maybe not show their misogony / racism / sexism that they may spew acros Twitter etc. This stalking is normal practice and can save you from dissapointment.

That's enough waffling for now - do you have any more specific questions about it? Hopefully others on here with experience can help out.

• Do you think this is a good idea?

It is a huge lottery unfortunately, but on the other hand it is the best way to find someone who is aligned with your interests or desires.

I would spend time looking into the reviews of the different dating sites as there are different focuses for each. Some are for hooking up for sex or whatever you are into, some are more casual dating and some are for trying to find a life partner.

Be sure what you actually want to find and go to the site best suited to you.

I would also send time learning a lot more about dating protocol as dates are difficult enough when they happen naturally but when you are going to one where the other person may have been through hundreds of such dates then you can struggle to understand what is going on.

If you are serious about kids then make sure this is discussed in the first few dates as part of the "what are your life goals" discussions - if the other person is really not into it then seriously think about using the "we don't really have the same long term plans for this to work" excuse and move onto the next person before you get too attached.

This will save a lot of pain later in life and since you are at the "shopping around" stage then it is best to get someone aligned with your ideals and plans.

This does not mean you cannot have some fun, mess around, do what you want to do for a while so long as this aligns with the other persons plans. You are only your age once so if you can, have fun, make memories and keep it in context.

If you are really nervous then get someone to help you prepare if you have a close friend or sibling. Having them nearby in case things go sideways during the date (eg the date is a jerk, you have a meltdown, you have an allergic reaction to the food or whatever) you have someone there who has your back.

Not something I would recommend for further dates though.

Oh, and remember to cyber stalk your date to see what they post on social media as they will always give a nice presentation of themselves for the date and maybe not show their misogony / racism / sexism that they may spew acros Twitter etc. This stalking is normal practice and can save you from dissapointment.

That's enough waffling for now - do you have any more specific questions about it? Hopefully others on here with experience can help out.

Children
No Data