Congratulations to me?

HELLO 

I just finished my ASD screening and he diagnosed me very positively with autism. I 'meet and exceed' the criteria, apparently. I m 35 and have long suspected I am on the spectrum. 

Phew it feels like a bit of a relief actually, as my initial GP referral was sent this time last summer so it has been a bit of a waiting game. 

I went in with no idea what he was going to ask so was feeling really quite anxious and found some of the points really hard to discuss (I don't remember parts of my childhood) but we got there in the end. 

I sort of feel like celebrating a bit...is that weird? Tonight I will open a bottle of something nice maybe and raise a toast to me - haha. 

Parents
  • Congratulations! 

Yes congratulations are certainly in order and opening a bottle of something nice sounds like a great plan. :) 

I had my pre diagnostic assessment last week and will get my diagnosis rubber stamped next week (hopefully!) To celebrate I've bought myself a fun t-shirt that says it's ok to be a little bit different. I've bought myself another fun t-shirt declaring my status as an autistic person which I will wear once the psychiatrist signs off my diagnosis.

It's so good to realise you're not broken :) 

• That's great to hear - good luck with the rest of the process. 

I think buying fun t-shirts is a really great idea as a little present to yourself. 

I don't have any friends or family around who I can celebrate with (everyone is busy, out of town or too far away) so I will be having a little drinky on my own, but that's okay. 

I feel validated for having this nagging suspicion that something isn't quite right and always asking "Why am I like this???" so it is nice to know that this 'thing' has a name and I have been 'it' all my life already. 

• That's great to hear - good luck with the rest of the process. 

I think buying fun t-shirts is a really great idea as a little present to yourself. 

I don't have any friends or family around who I can celebrate with (everyone is busy, out of town or too far away) so I will be having a little drinky on my own, but that's okay. 

I feel validated for having this nagging suspicion that something isn't quite right and always asking "Why am I like this???" so it is nice to know that this 'thing' has a name and I have been 'it' all my life already. 

Children
No Data