Health Advice For My Throat

Hello.

I joined here a while ago but haven't been online much because of my anxiety. My health anxiety is now bad because I've had a sore throat for about a year and now I've noticed a lump thing at the back of my mouth and I'm really worried it's cancer. I know a regular person would go to the doctors but I get so scared and anxious that I can't leave my house so I'm hoping someone here has experienced the same as me and can tell me what it might be.

Does it look like cancer? I think cancer mostly because of Google but also because it runs in our family. All my grandparents died of it and my cousin has it as well and she's only 36.

I've no other symptoms other than fatigue, nausea and unsteadiness when I walk where it feels like I'll fall over.

I've had this for so long the sore throat and I was originally given antibiotics by my doctor and that appointment last year nearly killed me! The anxiety was so bad I fainted, was sick, fainted again.. It was horrible!

Since then I've tried over the counter stuff but nothing works. And now that lumpy bit is there.

If you've got experience of this please say what you think it is as I am worried sick about this.

Parents
  • You need to go to the GP to have this checked, you really do.

Presuming that you have not had a tonsillectomy, the 'lump' is where one of the tonsils is located, there is another on the other side of your pharynx (throat). You might have chronic tonsillitis.

• Is that serious? Would the treatment be at home I don't like hospital. Tonsillitis doesn't sound too bad I was worried about cancer. I not had a tonsillectomy before.

I finally got through to reception this afternoon but it was too late to talk to av doctor so I've got to call again on Monday.

• Would the treatment be at home I don't like hospital

Tonsilitis is treate with antibiotics but if your immune system is weak then it will probably recurr.

If it keeps coming back then an operation under general anaesthetic is needed - that usually involves a few days in hospital so you probably want to avoid it.

The solution is to treat it with antibiotics, eat a healthy and balanced diet, keep active and lower your stress levels.

All this is assuming it is tonsilitis - you will only know when you get to the doc. The worst is that you develpp a severe infection in the tonsils and risk septic shock so I'm pretty sure the visit to the doctors surgery is the less traumatic of the two.

• Would the treatment be at home I don't like hospital

Tonsilitis is treate with antibiotics but if your immune system is weak then it will probably recurr.

If it keeps coming back then an operation under general anaesthetic is needed - that usually involves a few days in hospital so you probably want to avoid it.

The solution is to treat it with antibiotics, eat a healthy and balanced diet, keep active and lower your stress levels.

All this is assuming it is tonsilitis - you will only know when you get to the doc. The worst is that you develpp a severe infection in the tonsils and risk septic shock so I'm pretty sure the visit to the doctors surgery is the less traumatic of the two.

Children
  • You could be right there my immune system might be bad. I don't have a great diet and I almost never go anywhere anymore because I'm too scared.

• I do have ulcer patches on my tongue that come and go and also red gums so it's possible it is just an infection but it won't heal.

This plus the persistat tonsil infection makes me think the underlying cause may be your general imune system.

Are you eating a healthy diet and getting regular exercise? An underlying health issues that would compromise your imune system (no need to be specific)?

I'm thinking of tying to look at ways to stop this coming back when you get it treated.

• Oh my god that sounds awful. Hopefully it can be treated with antibiotics or something like that. I do have ulcer patches on my tongue that come and go and also red gums so it's possible it is just an infection but it won't heal.

I saw a pic of my throat I took 5 months ago

The lump bit has grown in that time so I guess it is worth getting checked just to be sure it's not serious but I'm hoping it'll be ok.