Does anyone else hate the Linux analogy?

Preface: I would do ANYTHING to be NT. ANYTHING. I hate having ASD and if there was a cure, I would take it without a second thought, because I would feel more feminine as an NT.

I especially do not like the analogy of NTs being Windows and NDs being Linux. I hate Linux. I don't want to be the nerd, the uncool one. I want to be Mac, a sleek, pretty, sexy Mac.

I hate the NDs are Androids and NTs are iPhones even more, and insist that it's the reverse, that NDs are iPhones and NTs are Androids, because iPhones are prettier, and I want to be the pretty, popular, feminine one. Does anyone else feel this way?

Parents
  • I'm not especially bothered about the analogies- if I don't like them, I don't use them. But I do find it incredibly annoying when people assume autistic women are never feminine/feminine women can't be autistic. I'm not *conventionally* feminine but I do wear a very femme goth style and it's very odd to me that something as variable as appearance is associated with the way your brain is 'supposed' to work. I'm never surprised when 'girly' women are diagnosed very late.

I don't know if you've read Fern Brady's book Strong Female Character: you may find that some of her experiences align with your own.

• I'm not especially bothered about the analogies- if I don't like them, I don't use them. But I do find it incredibly annoying when people assume autistic women are never feminine/feminine women can't be autistic. I'm not *conventionally* feminine but I do wear a very femme goth style and it's very odd to me that something as variable as appearance is associated with the way your brain is 'supposed' to work. I'm never surprised when 'girly' women are diagnosed very late.

I don't know if you've read Fern Brady's book Strong Female Character: you may find that some of her experiences align with your own.

Children
No Data