Cutting People Out

Have any of you noticed that, when things aren't going as you like or you don't know how to communicate certain things with friends or family, that over time you cut them out?

Parents
  • It’s something I’ve always done, I’m not mean I just can’t navigate friendships or even family members. The odd time I try to explain what I’m feeling I seem to get told that I’m wrong or there’s another reason why I’m struggling. Friendship take too much maintenance and sometimes people want more than I can give. It’s very much that if I don’t see someone then I don’t think of them or miss them. When in shutdown I won’t communicate with anyone.

• That experience of having people deminish your emotions is familiar too. I think it comes from a genuine place where people try to deflect, or offer some sort of remedy, but I always just feel like they've neglected to listen to what I'm actually saying and it always feels like no one is trying to understand what I'm about

• Yes, comments like, “ try to be positive and think about the good things.” Last week a family member told me that I’m not autistic but there’s definitely something going on. I see this person about 3 times a year so they obviously have a in-depth knowledge of me. That person is now on the muted list.

I always just feel like they've neglected to listen to what I'm actually saying

That’s exactly it, I suppose on my part, I said nothing to anyone about how I function and see the world for over 50 years. Everyone only knows the person I created.

• Yes, comments like, “ try to be positive and think about the good things.” Last week a family member told me that I’m not autistic but there’s definitely something going on. I see this person about 3 times a year so they obviously have a in-depth knowledge of me. That person is now on the muted list.

I always just feel like they've neglected to listen to what I'm actually saying

That’s exactly it, I suppose on my part, I said nothing to anyone about how I function and see the world for over 50 years. Everyone only knows the person I created.

Children
No Data