Does anyone else find low dose SSRI's have severe side effects?

I just started taking Citalopram 10mg, and it's the 6th day, but I'm reluctant to take it due to the side effects, mainly of a sexual nature. But I'm feeling a dry throat, dry mouth, drowsiness, confusion, and agitation.

Should I stop taking these or not? The only reason I ask is because the sexual side effects at least are removing my ability to get dopamine reliably. As there are fewer sources outside of it that can help. And especially ones that give me such joy and pleasure. 

Parents
  • Citalopram is probably the strongest SSRI out there so even in small doses it's powerful. The whole point in anti depressants is to improve your mood so if it's making you worse go back to your GP. Other anti depressants exist, including non SSRI ones that have less effect on sex drive.

• Non SSRI's don't exist in the UK apparently. I've asked about it, they don't say they have any. 

• Then respectfully you’ve been told wrong. It’s true SSRI are considered first line Meds. But non-SSRI medications exist and are licensed for treatment of depression in the UK. You might have to get your GP to refer you though.

• Then respectfully you’ve been told wrong. It’s true SSRI are considered first line Meds. But non-SSRI medications exist and are licensed for treatment of depression in the UK. You might have to get your GP to refer you though.

Children
  • I just wanted to comment here to give an additional example- I'm currently on an SSRI but have already discussed mirtazapine as a possible alternative/addition with my GP. I'm also taking a low dose of a TCA for a chronic pain condition. SSRIs are the first choice for a lot of doctors to prescribe but they're definitely still providing others!

• Absolutely, because I'm on a SNRI (venlafaxine) and an atypical antidepressant (mirtazapine), the mirtazapine was prescribed by my GP alone, whereas the SNRI was with psychiatrist advice.

There's also MAOIs as well as TCAs.

If someone has told you that it's only SSRIs then they're wrong.