Does anyone else find low dose SSRI's have severe side effects?

I just started taking Citalopram 10mg, and it's the 6th day, but I'm reluctant to take it due to the side effects, mainly of a sexual nature. But I'm feeling a dry throat, dry mouth, drowsiness, confusion, and agitation.

Should I stop taking these or not? The only reason I ask is because the sexual side effects at least are removing my ability to get dopamine reliably. As there are fewer sources outside of it that can help. And especially ones that give me such joy and pleasure. 

• I just wanted to comment here to give an additional example- I'm currently on an SSRI but have already discussed mirtazapine as a possible alternative/addition with my GP. I'm also taking a low dose of a TCA for a chronic pain condition. SSRIs are the first choice for a lot of doctors to prescribe but they're definitely still providing others!

• Sorry you are correct I think only admin can remove.

• It’s too early to know what the end result will be, so I would persevere.

Loss of libido can happen, but it can often sort itself out, or you can work to build it back into your life with a supportive partner. 

• I think you've posted this on the wrong thread, this is about SSRIs.

• I gained funding for this when I was working but it came through within the same time I failed my probabation period as I wasnt suited to the job. You do get a lot of support offered so perhaps its worth applying for. From memory the employer paid for it then they were reimbursed by the government. I had massive sensory issues so they offered noise cancelling headphones, a mentor in the workplace, technology on my work PC to help with reading text and how to negoiate reasonable adjustments. Unfortunalty I identified emotional dysregualtion issues while working with young people, I felt unsafe and triggered so I left. I came to the conclusion that the support would only help in a job that I could manage my environment and didnt work closely with people with complex needs (like myself). It souds like a library would be quite soothing for someone with anxiety. I wish you the very best. 

• @DA great advise 

• Hi - I take sertraline and other SSRIs and they can affect libido massively. I have been withdrawing from the meds over 3-4 years so be mindful if you want to take long term, expect a long withdrawal and slow tapering. 

• Absolutely, because I'm on a SNRI (venlafaxine) and an atypical antidepressant (mirtazapine), the mirtazapine was prescribed by my GP alone, whereas the SNRI was with psychiatrist advice.

There's also MAOIs as well as TCAs.

If someone has told you that it's only SSRIs then they're wrong.

• Then respectfully you’ve been told wrong. It’s true SSRI are considered first line Meds. But non-SSRI medications exist and are licensed for treatment of depression in the UK. You might have to get your GP to refer you though.

• Yeah I explicitly asked for TCAs (proven to help with a physical condition I have) and was told they don't do them any more. They're not a controlled substance however so easy to buy it you want them. They're on my list of things to try.

• I took half a pill of the lowest available dosage of paroxetine and was up all night with severe nausea, extreme abdominal pain, shaking and feeling drunk. Every time I drifted off to sleep my brain would immediately wake me to let me know I might be about to throw up. Needless to say I did not keep taking them, as there was no way I could eat while feeling like that and I was already underweight with no desire to end up in hospital.

Some research suggests autistic people have an overabundance of serotonin. I'm about to try experimenting with cyproheptadine (reduces serotonin) to see if it helps my lifelong gut issues.

• It's been a while since I was on Citalopram but yes, after the first few weeks everything calmed down in terms of side effects.

It's up to you whether you think a few weeks of side effects is better or worse than continuing as you had been before, that's something only you can decide. Pretty much any antidepressant you try will have an adjustment period, so if you do decide you want to take them, even if it's not these exact ones, you will have to accept that it's going to feel bad before it gets better.

Personally, I'd take a loss of sexual function for a few weeks over the initial period on mirtazapine and venlafaxine, I lost all executive function with that and was effectively a zombie that my husband had to look after for a couple of weeks.

• You probably ought to give it a bit longer as SSRIs do take a few weeks to properly start working. The worst of the side effects tend to wear off pretty quickly- I've just gone back on sertraline for the second time and at ten days in my initial side effects have worn off, for example.

Having said that, if the ongoing side effects are truly unbearable then there are other meds you can try- coming off one antidepressant and going on another should be done with your doctor's advice though as if you do it incorrectly you can end up with even more (temporary) side effects!

If SSRIs don't work for you then there are SNRIs and tricyclic antidepressants as well which might not have the same side effects.

• Will I get at least my sexual function back because that's the biggest worry. Last anti-depressants I tried ended up killing it completely for a few weeks, it was agonizing. I was feeling more suicidal because of it. And I think it permanently effected me in the long run to only having gotten it back in the last few years. 

• Non SSRI's don't exist in the UK apparently. I've asked about it, they don't say they have any. 

• I started taking them for my suicidal thoughts, OCD and anxiety. I can't continue if they cause continuous sexual dysfunction since it's my only reliable source of dopamine or even pleasure. Where a few things in my life don't bring as much pleasure to me as it does other people (I'm called spoilt for it but that's not it at all) 

• 6 days is not long enough for it to have started taking effect in a positive way, you should stick with it if you can for at least 4 to 6 weeks as the others say. Side effects are worse for all antidepressants at first (have tried at last count 6 different kinds over the last 20 years), it does get better after the initial period.

• Citalopram is probably the strongest SSRI out there so even in small doses it's powerful. The whole point in anti depressants is to improve your mood so if it's making you worse go back to your GP. Other anti depressants exist, including non SSRI ones that have less effect on sex drive.

• Antidepressants make you feel worse before you feel better. If you stick out the first 4-6 weeks you should start feeling better and your side effects (including sexual side effects) should go away. It takes about 6 months to get the full positive effects of antidepressants. But if your side effects don’t go away or get worse I would recommend speaking to your doctor again.

• What is the reason you started taking Citralopam?  If you dont want to answer that, then thats fine.

Is it worth it? Do you really need them? 

My friend recently started taking Citralopam, she suffered with increased anxiety on taking them, but this has now reduced, but only after a few weeks of suffering. She also now sufferers with sexual dysfunction. 

Antidepressants are known to cause sexual dysfunction.