Does anyone else find low dose SSRI's have severe side effects?

I just started taking Citalopram 10mg, and it's the 6th day, but I'm reluctant to take it due to the side effects, mainly of a sexual nature. But I'm feeling a dry throat, dry mouth, drowsiness, confusion, and agitation.

Should I stop taking these or not? The only reason I ask is because the sexual side effects at least are removing my ability to get dopamine reliably. As there are fewer sources outside of it that can help. And especially ones that give me such joy and pleasure. 

Parents
  • You probably ought to give it a bit longer as SSRIs do take a few weeks to properly start working. The worst of the side effects tend to wear off pretty quickly- I've just gone back on sertraline for the second time and at ten days in my initial side effects have worn off, for example.

Having said that, if the ongoing side effects are truly unbearable then there are other meds you can try- coming off one antidepressant and going on another should be done with your doctor's advice though as if you do it incorrectly you can end up with even more (temporary) side effects!

If SSRIs don't work for you then there are SNRIs and tricyclic antidepressants as well which might not have the same side effects.

• You probably ought to give it a bit longer as SSRIs do take a few weeks to properly start working. The worst of the side effects tend to wear off pretty quickly- I've just gone back on sertraline for the second time and at ten days in my initial side effects have worn off, for example.

Having said that, if the ongoing side effects are truly unbearable then there are other meds you can try- coming off one antidepressant and going on another should be done with your doctor's advice though as if you do it incorrectly you can end up with even more (temporary) side effects!

If SSRIs don't work for you then there are SNRIs and tricyclic antidepressants as well which might not have the same side effects.

Children
No Data