Post diagnosis- few months later

Hi, so I’m really pushing myself out my comfort zone here because I don’t have anyone else I can seek true advice  from. I was recently diagnosed in Feb at the age of 24 (though the news of me being autistic isn’t new) I spent months on myself to accept I am prior to being diagnosed. My little sister was diagnosed at the age of 4/5, thus since my mother has always told me she highly suspects I am - something I heavily rejected for at least 6 years. It wasn’t until meeting my fiancé 3 years ago that I truly started to believe it myself the more I learnt about autism in women (thanks TikTok). After the assessment I didn’t feel hopeful of a diagnosis as I was suffering quite badly with some immense imposter syndrome, so happy tears were shed when I was told I am. As most of you will know once you’ve got your diagnosis that’s pretty much it (super fun lol) I put off seeking anything out because I thought I was content in myself and knew who I was. I was wrong I am dropping the mask completely now and I just feel so detached from myself or who I thought I was to the point I actually don’t know who I am, I’m just struggling massively in know how to navigate myself any confidence I gained has depleted. I’m now reading this back thinking if it makes any sense at all. Any advice/sign posting is greatly appreciated <3

Parents
  • The whole 'taking the mask off' is also causing me a great deal of confusion. 

Considering how many people post on here, describing feeling the same way, it is really sad that there is not a more joined up 'post diagnosis' training/therapy program to help people.

At least in my case, it is a self-diagnosis (I am on the wait list) but it has been months of trying and I still have not manages to get any professional help.

This forum is the best I have found so far.

• I agree.  How should it proceed is the question. 

Reply Children
No Data