Waking up

I regularly have a sleep in the afternoon. On waking i feel dreadful, drowsy, disorientated and struggle to get started. Does anyone else experience this?  I have always slept a lot, and having a sleep in the day doesnt seem to affect my ability to sleep at night time. 

Parents
  • On waking i feel dreadful, drowsy, disorientated and struggle to get started. Does anyone else experience this?

This looks like it could be down to how long you nap for - there are cycles of time for a regenerating nap that you may need to test to see if they work better.

There is a lot of good info about the mechanics of it here:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/326803

In the most beneficial naps, a person will only go into the first and second stages of sleep.
    These stages are more superficial and can help a person feel refreshed without them needing to go into a deeper sleep.
    A person who wakes up from a nap feeling heavy and groggy likely went further into their sleep cycle.
    If this happens regularly after naps, they may want to check how long they are sleeping for and set an alarm.

• I dont give myself specific times to sleep. I sleep when i feel i need it or when i want a rest from life, which is often. I could sleep forever. 

I think its a period in my life at the moment that i am struggling with. I just want to hide away from everything. Why is life so difficult? X

• I just want to hide away from everything

I suspect what is causing the sleep problems is the unresolved issues they you are hiding from.

If you cannot process these then they have a bad habit of haunting your thoughts even when sleeping.

Do you have access to a therapist to work through them? Uncomfortable as it may sound, talking it through with someone who is non judgemental and can offer practical steps to deal with it is probably your best option (in my opinion).

• Thank you. Yes, i think you're right. I am meeting with a nurse at the surgery on thursday. I meet her about every 4 weeks. I dont think this is enough at the moment. Im trying to come to terms with my brothers diagnosis and my own pending diagnosis. It's all a bit too much for me x

• Thank you. Yes, i think you're right. I am meeting with a nurse at the surgery on thursday. I meet her about every 4 weeks. I dont think this is enough at the moment. Im trying to come to terms with my brothers diagnosis and my own pending diagnosis. It's all a bit too much for me x

Children
No Data