Parents
  • I think it depends on the job. I just got a new job where I talked a little about being autistic during the interview, and I emphasised that it did make some things more difficult but it also gave me advantages. It's in an education setting and they seemed very keen to work with me! 

For me it was about being honest up front. I left my old job because I couldn't be myself there, and I didn't want to start another one where I had to hide who I am to fit in.

• Only recently diagnosed here and am changing jobs very shortly and haven't mentioned it at all. Wondering if I should have, now. I've worked there before so I still know the set up but if it was somewhere else, completely new, I'm not sure. I'm thinking it's worth mentioning at interview time because I have massive anxiety around interviews and it's a full effort to mask through them. Most of the interviews I have are not helped by the jobs requiring almost encyclopedic knowledge of a variety of systems / software and always involve some kind of technical skills test, which under pressure never goes as well as it should.

• Only recently diagnosed here and am changing jobs very shortly and haven't mentioned it at all. Wondering if I should have, now. I've worked there before so I still know the set up but if it was somewhere else, completely new, I'm not sure. I'm thinking it's worth mentioning at interview time because I have massive anxiety around interviews and it's a full effort to mask through them. Most of the interviews I have are not helped by the jobs requiring almost encyclopedic knowledge of a variety of systems / software and always involve some kind of technical skills test, which under pressure never goes as well as it should.

Children
No Data