Has anyone else felt like they've had to prove themselves as a human being?

I put this down to my low confidence/self-esteem. I feel guilty about this, but I would be under the belief that my own friends wouldn't fully appreciate me until I had something incredible to impress them with.

I realise now that they did like me for who I was and I didn't appreciate it at the time. Even the most chronic people pleaser wouldn't travel 120 miles to see someone if they didn't want to (I hope not anyway). 

I guess I just wanted someone to look me in the eyes (well, if they were autistic too, maybe not!) and tell me that I am enough. 

Parents
  • Hello,

I understand this a lot, I’ve always felt like I’ve had to “prove” myself in a sense and I’m pretty much always comparing myself to others and it’s exhausting.

You shouldn’t be made to feel that way and it’s important to realise that you’re different and that’s okay! It definitely does come from low self-esteem especially when the people around you make you feel silly or stupid for not understanding “normal” social cues!!

• Hello,

I understand this a lot, I’ve always felt like I’ve had to “prove” myself in a sense and I’m pretty much always comparing myself to others and it’s exhausting.

You shouldn’t be made to feel that way and it’s important to realise that you’re different and that’s okay! It definitely does come from low self-esteem especially when the people around you make you feel silly or stupid for not understanding “normal” social cues!!

Children
No Data