Undiagnosed/ misdiagnosed

Hi everyone, 

I am new to this site and looking forward to discussing different subjects. I have recently been placed on the waiting list for an autism diagnosis at 23yrs old.

Is there anyone else out there who has taken a while to understand why they are the way they are? Or have been misdiagnosed with mental health problems, with autism being completely missed?

Would love to hear people's views on this. 

-Sarah 

Parents
  • I’m 43. Just thought I was despessed and was told had a chemical imbalance by G.Ps (I actually do but i also have adhd and dopamine transporters are prevalent in this)....put on anti depressants....nothing worked.

had an nhs assessment as I was flagged up for autism during a meltdown. Nhs said I was just mentally ill (I’m not)....non diagnosis (I will be complaining)....

went private and got seen by someone who knew what they were talking about and diagnosed autism/aspergers and adhd.

there’s a reason you are here and it all fits when you know. When you don’t it’s like being in limbo. 

just go prepared for an nhs assessment because some assessors have no idea what developmental Autism actually is and they will be looking for someone presenting with severe rather than subtle symptoms. Hopefully you get seen by a good team. 

• I'm trying to get a diagnosis at 63 and my experience so far is that the entire system is geared towards preventing it. After a bit of a struggle to see my GP he eventually referred me for a diagnosis, only to get a letter a few days later from a nearby health centre saying that I wouldn't be getting one. It had the look of a standard letter and wasn't signed by anyone. I scored pretty high in every diagnostic test, which they were provided with. I'm certain I'm autistic.

• I'm trying to get a diagnosis at 63 and my experience so far is that the entire system is geared towards preventing it. After a bit of a struggle to see my GP he eventually referred me for a diagnosis, only to get a letter a few days later from a nearby health centre saying that I wouldn't be getting one. It had the look of a standard letter and wasn't signed by anyone. I scored pretty high in every diagnostic test, which they were provided with. I'm certain I'm autistic.

Children
No Data