Undiagnosed/ misdiagnosed

Hi everyone, 

I am new to this site and looking forward to discussing different subjects. I have recently been placed on the waiting list for an autism diagnosis at 23yrs old.

Is there anyone else out there who has taken a while to understand why they are the way they are? Or have been misdiagnosed with mental health problems, with autism being completely missed?

Would love to hear people's views on this. 

-Sarah 

Parents
  • Many years ago before I had my later in life autism diagnosis at age 52, when I was growing up in Rural Ireland, which a lot of this was tied in with traditional Irish Catholic social teachings, I was sent to an Irish residential centre for 9 months after over a year of psychological assessment after being bullied in school, in order to “punish” me for “attracting and inviting” bullying to myself, after which I held back a year in school and not allowed to do my Inter Cert nor Leaving Cert and instead made to do alternatives while being labelled as “mad” a “freak and a weirdo” and as having “mental health issues” and it was coming from a deliberate ignorance and point-blank refusal to understand autism in any other terms, except in that it needed to be carefully managed by the use of ultra strict Millitary style discipline - this was used as a further excuse to dictate my career paths over many decades and the problems massively increased over the years when I’d come out as gay, but was never really accepted by other LGBT people, which is why I cut all ties with them over 18 years ago 

• Many years ago before I had my later in life autism diagnosis at age 52, when I was growing up in Rural Ireland, which a lot of this was tied in with traditional Irish Catholic social teachings, I was sent to an Irish residential centre for 9 months after over a year of psychological assessment after being bullied in school, in order to “punish” me for “attracting and inviting” bullying to myself, after which I held back a year in school and not allowed to do my Inter Cert nor Leaving Cert and instead made to do alternatives while being labelled as “mad” a “freak and a weirdo” and as having “mental health issues” and it was coming from a deliberate ignorance and point-blank refusal to understand autism in any other terms, except in that it needed to be carefully managed by the use of ultra strict Millitary style discipline - this was used as a further excuse to dictate my career paths over many decades and the problems massively increased over the years when I’d come out as gay, but was never really accepted by other LGBT people, which is why I cut all ties with them over 18 years ago 

Children
No Data