Undiagnosed/ misdiagnosed

Hi everyone, 

I am new to this site and looking forward to discussing different subjects. I have recently been placed on the waiting list for an autism diagnosis at 23yrs old.

Is there anyone else out there who has taken a while to understand why they are the way they are? Or have been misdiagnosed with mental health problems, with autism being completely missed?

Would love to hear people's views on this. 

-Sarah 

Parents
  • I had my assessment last year at 49, knowing what I know now I am not surprised I went undiagnosed for a long time. I have had life long anxiety and I was very, very good at masking it, Unfortunately this lead too a burnout a year and a half ago which was originally considered to be stress. 

However I do think my psychologist I saw after my burnout should have been able to identify me as Autistic as there were plenty of obvious indicators. 

• I had my assessment last year at 49, knowing what I know now I am not surprised I went undiagnosed for a long time. I have had life long anxiety and I was very, very good at masking it, Unfortunately this lead too a burnout a year and a half ago which was originally considered to be stress. 

However I do think my psychologist I saw after my burnout should have been able to identify me as Autistic as there were plenty of obvious indicators. 

Children
No Data