Undiagnosed/ misdiagnosed

Hi everyone, 

I am new to this site and looking forward to discussing different subjects. I have recently been placed on the waiting list for an autism diagnosis at 23yrs old.

Is there anyone else out there who has taken a while to understand why they are the way they are? Or have been misdiagnosed with mental health problems, with autism being completely missed?

Would love to hear people's views on this. 

-Sarah 

Parents
  • Hi and welcome.

Sadly, mental health services for autism are lacking and certainly the understanding of autism is very much lacking.  I was wrongly told I wasn't autistic ten or so years ago.  I put me in a very dark place.  I am on the wait list for a proper assessment (likely still another two years away ..isn't the NHS great)  but I have confirmed for myself that I am most definitely autistic.

Fortunately there are now many online resources, in particular for me, youtube videos, that go into great detail and really helped me to understand my 'challenges'.

• Hi and welcome.

Sadly, mental health services for autism are lacking and certainly the understanding of autism is very much lacking.  I was wrongly told I wasn't autistic ten or so years ago.  I put me in a very dark place.  I am on the wait list for a proper assessment (likely still another two years away ..isn't the NHS great)  but I have confirmed for myself that I am most definitely autistic.

Fortunately there are now many online resources, in particular for me, youtube videos, that go into great detail and really helped me to understand my 'challenges'.

Children