Learning to become more sociable and to make friends

Hello,

My daughter aged 18 years has always been isolated and could not make friends with girls.

She is very bright but too direct and confrontional with people when she disagrees.

I do not know how to find someone to teach her to become more sociable, and to make freinds ?

Can you help ?

Thanks

• Hi, Where I come from a person is not expected to offer an opinion unless it is asked for or if an opinion is offered during a conversation it is usually ended with a question asking what other person(s) thinks. But then with me it is probably a cultural difference as I was not educated here.  I find consistant self opinionated people a real downer. The more they try to ram their opinion the quiter I get. In the past I have reached a point where no verbal response was made by me. That usually ends the interaction..

This probably is not practical advice for your daughter. I have a step daughter who never shuts up and speaks about things she knows nothing about, trying to cover up her ignorance with a joke. This is not exactly a way to win over friends.

• Yes she desperatly looking for friendship and never had a close friend. She will blame others to be such..

• All i can suggest is a local autistic group. We have one in the midlands that meets occasionally. Maybe search facebook for one near you.

• Does she want to be more sociable and make friends?

• No as we live in the UK.

Maybe jfind local groups ?

• Many thanks.

She blames others for being rude and not nice with her..

I am not sure how to talk about her difficulties without stigmatising her..

• I need friends, and I'm not a girl. Does she live anywhere near Scotland by any chance?

And I might be able to give her some tips.

• Hello there, I don't have much experience with advising girls specifically but the following books may offer more detailed advice:

Aspergirls - empowering females with Asperger Syndrome - Rudy Simone (2012)
    ISBN 9781849058261

Why Aren't Normal People Normal - A Girl's Survival Guide to Growing Up with Asperger Syndrome - Olley Edwards (2013)
    no ISBN given

Women and Girls with Autism Spectrum Disorder, Understanding Life Experiences from Early Childhood to Old Age - Sarah Hendrickx, Judith Gould (2015)
    ISBN 9781849055475

On the general friendship side, these may be useful too:

An Aspie's Guide to Making and Keeping Friends - Attwood, Tony, Evans, Craig R., Lesko, Anita (2015)
    eISBN 9781784501259

Friendships The Aspie Way - Wendy Lawson (2006)
    ISBN-10: 1 84310 427 X

Social Skills for Teenagers and Adults with Asperger Syndrome - A Practical Guide to Day-to-day Life - Nancy J., Ph.D. Patrick (2008)
    ISBN 9781843108764

Social Skills Groups for Children And Adolescents With Asperger's Syndrome - A Step-by-step Program - Kim Kiker Painter (2008)
    ISBN 1843108216