How to make friends as an Adult?

Hi,

I found it a little easier to make friends at school and university. But now as an Adult (23 years old), I am looking to make friends with people who are similar to me and how to enjoy deeper conversation. And I am starting to feel like as an Adult it's harder to do that. I don't know how or where to start. It feels like I missed my chance back in school and now I am stuck with my current situation.

Any advice? How do you feel about it? As an Autistic Adult.

Parents
  • I just never left the university clubs; that worked for me for a long time. Now far after that phase of my life I have no idea. There are no non-student ‘adult’ clubs for what I want to do or for my interests.

I even tried being the one to start the clubs and that was a complete failure. in fact repeated failures cause I tried repeated times.

if you figure it out remember to tell me.

• I added a part 2 to my reply for you if that helps, since it helps to expand the field as folk say.

• I already attempted to take your suggestion in a sense. I looked at things I was particularly interested in and made a list of things that were tangently kind of associated with them. Then I looked in the local area to see if anything was going on. Only thing I found was a Lolita fashion meet up.

and while I’m not saying that I don’t have the confidence to rock crinoline dresses in a distinctive pseudo Victoria Japanese style. I’m not convinced I would be welcome among a bunch of young women spending a weekend out in frilly dresses. Anyway it’s incredibly expensive and frankly they just don’t make anything even remotely in a plus size.

so yeah that’s a bit of a bust. I did try a K-pop club night early this year. But as far as I know they haven’t done another and even if I did I wouldn’t have the money to go. It was a lot of fun but I didn’t really make any friends. It was almost exclusively populated by young women again. I mean seriously the woman to man ratio must’ve been something like 5 to one. Not that I was complaining. But I don’t think it’s necessarily conducive to making an introduction. Maybe if I’d been a regular and my face started to be recognised.

• I already attempted to take your suggestion in a sense. I looked at things I was particularly interested in and made a list of things that were tangently kind of associated with them. Then I looked in the local area to see if anything was going on. Only thing I found was a Lolita fashion meet up.

and while I’m not saying that I don’t have the confidence to rock crinoline dresses in a distinctive pseudo Victoria Japanese style. I’m not convinced I would be welcome among a bunch of young women spending a weekend out in frilly dresses. Anyway it’s incredibly expensive and frankly they just don’t make anything even remotely in a plus size.

so yeah that’s a bit of a bust. I did try a K-pop club night early this year. But as far as I know they haven’t done another and even if I did I wouldn’t have the money to go. It was a lot of fun but I didn’t really make any friends. It was almost exclusively populated by young women again. I mean seriously the woman to man ratio must’ve been something like 5 to one. Not that I was complaining. But I don’t think it’s necessarily conducive to making an introduction. Maybe if I’d been a regular and my face started to be recognised.

Children