Does anyone else constantly replay conversations and think about what they wish they said?

I say "does anyone else" like it's a unique experience, particularly for the Autistics among us with terrible rumination issues, but I've noticed it is getting worse for me.

I can't respond to things in the moment so I end up really frustrated and angry immediately after.

I think a lot about future conversations. I see a therapist and I spend hours on end thinking about what I'll say, how I'll say it and even with a list of notes to accompany me, I'll still come away afterwards thinking about what I wish I said.

Is it because I'm not "in the moment" enough?

Parents
  • Oh, been there for 25 years. Then learned to stop it, as it's useless. What helped? Meditation (a skill to notice thoughts and stop them), plus improv comedy courses (learning to react in the moment, having no chance to prepare). Though can't say I fixed it completely, still far from ideal.

• Oh, been there for 25 years. Then learned to stop it, as it's useless. What helped? Meditation (a skill to notice thoughts and stop them), plus improv comedy courses (learning to react in the moment, having no chance to prepare). Though can't say I fixed it completely, still far from ideal.

Children
No Data