Is it just me or does it have to do with being autistic?

I have a hard time asking questions but I also have a harder time asking for simple favors.

I am not sure if it is my pride, but I like to prove that I don't need help from anyone, I can do it by myself. It's not right to be extreme in this and I am working on learning and improving. 

I wonder if someone has similar experiences.

Parents
  • Yeah I hate asking for help, I think it's mostly down to the complex communication it involves and never understand what the other person is going to or say in response, so it triggers all my anxieties. I find it rarely actually improves the situation anyway, people end up answering a different question than what you asked, no matter how specific you are, and if you say 'no, that's not what I wanted' they acted as if you're being a problem because they're trying to help. So it's simpler to not bother asking.

I've also found the things I have to ask for help on are so far removed from what people ask for help on that it causes confusion. I had no idea how I meant to get in a building because there was no real signage, no instructions, and a reception area that was not really joined to where I was going in. I ended up calling my wife who was bemused at how I was stuck to what was her an obvious answer of go to the reception but that building wasn't designed in such a way that was an obvious thing to do (to me). This is my usual experience of asking for help, bemusement that I don't know how to, for example, wash clothes. Yet give me some complex maths and I'm all over it and people can't seem to understand that I find the easy things hard and the hard things easy so they just presume I'm thick if they don't know me, again something I don't want to feed into. 

• Yeah I hate asking for help, I think it's mostly down to the complex communication it involves and never understand what the other person is going to or say in response, so it triggers all my anxieties. I find it rarely actually improves the situation anyway, people end up answering a different question than what you asked, no matter how specific you are, and if you say 'no, that's not what I wanted' they acted as if you're being a problem because they're trying to help. So it's simpler to not bother asking.

I've also found the things I have to ask for help on are so far removed from what people ask for help on that it causes confusion. I had no idea how I meant to get in a building because there was no real signage, no instructions, and a reception area that was not really joined to where I was going in. I ended up calling my wife who was bemused at how I was stuck to what was her an obvious answer of go to the reception but that building wasn't designed in such a way that was an obvious thing to do (to me). This is my usual experience of asking for help, bemusement that I don't know how to, for example, wash clothes. Yet give me some complex maths and I'm all over it and people can't seem to understand that I find the easy things hard and the hard things easy so they just presume I'm thick if they don't know me, again something I don't want to feed into. 

Children
No Data