Arguments on the forum

I don't know about others, but I'm getting a little concerned that the arguments will put off new members.

Quite often people join and then disappear quite quickly.

I've been involved in these myself on occasion, so I'm not innocent.

However, maybe the mods could create a section where these potentially contentious threads could be placed that had a heading like NSFW (a new one on me but it seems to be well known).

If a seemingly innocuous thread then turns into a constant argument, perhaps it could be moved to there.

It's sometimes interraction between older males and older females (or non binary etc) and comes down to very different relationship/*ex points of view but can of course stem from any subject and any set of contributors.

I think it happens more often than it once did, and I've not been here a year yet.

Parents
  • I've come close to leaving several times because frankly, these arguments usually happen around matters of sex or whether something is 'woke', and I inevitably feel like some people aren't safe to speak to about those topics. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt because as autistic folks we can easily be misunderstood even by each other, but there have been things said in these conversations that are hugely insensitive to people's lived experiences and it makes me really uncomfortable about sharing my own.

• Insensitivity is not the worst thing perpetrated on threads like this, believe me.

• I tend to agree. Harsh words are being banded about on both sides. But insensitivity is not a crime much less a hate crime. It would be nice if we could all be a little kinder even if we don’t agree with each other. But both sides need to take some responsibility for agitating the situation.

• please, what does jumping the shark mean?

• I've gone from having a laisse faire attitude to being strongly polarised and politically active with some of my views as a result of my interactions on this forum.

Certain people have posted here material that I find shows them to be despicable people in the extreme who I do not want to be associated with, and I've reduced my participation here, generally, and avoided "their" threads like the plague, since my last mauling.

I evaluate the moderation here to be quite even handed, and strangely effective, tbf.

WE as members NEED TO DO BETTER by each other. 

It's difficult to achieve I know, when mainstream society is busy jumping the shark, over and over again... 

• I am very loath to actively participate in any discussion of this type, due to the malicious abuse I suffered.

Reply Children
  • please, what does jumping the shark mean?

• I've gone from having a laisse faire attitude to being strongly polarised and politically active with some of my views as a result of my interactions on this forum.

Certain people have posted here material that I find shows them to be despicable people in the extreme who I do not want to be associated with, and I've reduced my participation here, generally, and avoided "their" threads like the plague, since my last mauling.

I evaluate the moderation here to be quite even handed, and strangely effective, tbf.

WE as members NEED TO DO BETTER by each other. 

It's difficult to achieve I know, when mainstream society is busy jumping the shark, over and over again...