Telling people about my autism

Hi 

I was wondering who do I tell about my autism?  My family and some friends know but I am afraid to tell other friends as I feel I don't need to talk about it all time but I feel some people would understand me better if they knew. Especially because of some my behaviour such as repetition, masking and lack of patience, not being touched   

Rainbowgirl 

Parents
  • If, like me, you prefer to read a book on the subject, I would recommend:

Coming Out Asperger - Diagnosis, Disclosure And Self-confidence - Dinah Murray (2005)
    ISBN 1843102404

On the whole, most of your friends probably already see your "oddness" as part of your charm so it won't be a big surprise for them.

If you have any sensitiviteis you think they would benefit from knowing about (e.g. you don't like loud noses, strong scents, being hugged etc) then by all means this is the time to let them know.

It doesn't change who you are, but if you prefer to stim in certain ways then just tell them this is something you do and please don't think it is odd.

• If, like me, you prefer to read a book on the subject, I would recommend:

Coming Out Asperger - Diagnosis, Disclosure And Self-confidence - Dinah Murray (2005)
    ISBN 1843102404

On the whole, most of your friends probably already see your "oddness" as part of your charm so it won't be a big surprise for them.

If you have any sensitiviteis you think they would benefit from knowing about (e.g. you don't like loud noses, strong scents, being hugged etc) then by all means this is the time to let them know.

It doesn't change who you are, but if you prefer to stim in certain ways then just tell them this is something you do and please don't think it is odd.

Children
No Data