Noise rant!!!

Again I have been kept awake, this time by my neighbour bloody coughing of all things! Excuse the language but I am angry. Far worse things could come out but are not fit for this forum.

Two nights ago, I kept on being kept awake by my neighbour's deep, husky cough, then the next night students woke me up at 4am by talking loudly outside my flat, and today I could hear my neighbour again.

Now, it is no-one's fault if they suffer from a cough, we all do from time to time, but I should not have to hear it!. The walls must be paper thin at my ground floor flat - there is only one neighbour above me, and is Council owned.

Thankfully I am going home to my parents for the weekend, where I am never woken up by neighbour's coughing - it is a semi-detached. I do sometimes hear the neighbour cough, but because she is not directly above me it is very faint, and I don't seem to hear it at night-time.

Ear-plugs don't work so my only solution is to put my fingers in my ears in order to get some sleep. This is uncomfortable, and I now have sore ears, but otherwise I would have to listen to such a horrible noise. The sound of coughing, by the way, makes me stressed straight away, probably because I have OCD. It is one of my trigger noises.

Am so annoyed, and hate the fact that homes are not built with proper, thick walls.

Parents
  • Have you tried the silicon putty earplugs, or those ones that are bendy and fit to your ear canal?

I know you shouldn't have to resort to any ear protection, the walls made by the council are cheap and unfit for purpose.  Our house is an ex-LA house and it has extremely thin walls too.  I have been hearing our neighbour coughing this morning which even though didn't affect anything like sleep still really annoyed me.

I too have a bit of OCD and a couple of days ago I was in a cafe and a workman walked past with a really chesty, bubbly cough that made me feel sick and it made me feel that my food and drink were contaminated, even though he wasn't coughing in my direction.

It's so awful having noisy neighbours and thin walls.  I cannot bear having other peoples' lives in my life it's like an unwanted intrusion.  I do sympathise.

• Have you tried the silicon putty earplugs, or those ones that are bendy and fit to your ear canal?

I know you shouldn't have to resort to any ear protection, the walls made by the council are cheap and unfit for purpose.  Our house is an ex-LA house and it has extremely thin walls too.  I have been hearing our neighbour coughing this morning which even though didn't affect anything like sleep still really annoyed me.

I too have a bit of OCD and a couple of days ago I was in a cafe and a workman walked past with a really chesty, bubbly cough that made me feel sick and it made me feel that my food and drink were contaminated, even though he wasn't coughing in my direction.

It's so awful having noisy neighbours and thin walls.  I cannot bear having other peoples' lives in my life it's like an unwanted intrusion.  I do sympathise.

Children
No Data