Autism or trauma.

Hi, I have been thinking a lot about my diagnosis which was given in 2022 as ASC / ADHD and c-PTSD. I was fascinated to read that psychologists used to believe Autism was caused by traumatic events because there are so many similar features eg the need for control, routines,sensory issues.

Apparently this is no longer the general consensus, and is now considered to be a neurological development issue - but i can also see why clinicians came to this conclusion previously.

The OT that i spent time with ( she is a very nice lady) told me that with Autism, it is present in childhood, i did have some traumatic childhood experiences but i have always been hyper-sensitive, anyway what i do know is that depression and anxiety are common in autism, and apparently caused by the fact autistic people are acutely aware that they are different and do not ' fit in ' i certainly agree with that.

I am also told that a person with Autism and ADHD looks different to a person with Autism because ADHD element can give the impression the person is more 'sociable' or ' approachable' having said that, i am told that Autistic people observe others and watch their behaviours and mimic them in order to try to fit in somehow. I think this is true for myself, although in the last 10 years i have given up ' trying to fit in '

One last point on trauma ; i have recently undertaken EMDR therapy which really seems to have improved the symptoms ( less flashbacks)

What are your thoughts?

Parents
  • I am glad you have started this thread as I have been through a traumatic childhood and adult hood (childbirth and other traumas) and I am currently awaiting a diagnosis. One of the biggest problems is the overlap for what is traumatic response behaviours and what is a neurodevelopmental issue from birth (ASD). My biological mother ended up in the mental health system and my biological father has traits of ASD and he was never diagnosed, also his religion is Muslim and I dont expect any differences were raised and assessed back in the 1960s! He also told me he struggles maintaining relationships and has no awareness of the impact of his behaviour on others.

My half brother who passed away in 2020 was definatley autistic (different biological fathers) so I feel my mum was ASD undiagnosed and we both had her genetic disposition, I was just able to mask more than my older brother.

I am so anxious about the outcome appointment as it was very difficult to expresss how difficult I find social interaction and the intensivity of sensory overwhelm. I can also see how my pendng diagnosis of EUPD plays a part. It is possible to be dual diagmosis so both currently not assessed formely. I tried to remember my childhood but that was very difficult due to amnesia (loss of childhood memories of self) from thinking back over the years. I am 46 now....

• I am glad you have started this thread as I have been through a traumatic childhood and adult hood (childbirth and other traumas) and I am currently awaiting a diagnosis. One of the biggest problems is the overlap for what is traumatic response behaviours and what is a neurodevelopmental issue from birth (ASD). My biological mother ended up in the mental health system and my biological father has traits of ASD and he was never diagnosed, also his religion is Muslim and I dont expect any differences were raised and assessed back in the 1960s! He also told me he struggles maintaining relationships and has no awareness of the impact of his behaviour on others.

My half brother who passed away in 2020 was definatley autistic (different biological fathers) so I feel my mum was ASD undiagnosed and we both had her genetic disposition, I was just able to mask more than my older brother.

I am so anxious about the outcome appointment as it was very difficult to expresss how difficult I find social interaction and the intensivity of sensory overwhelm. I can also see how my pendng diagnosis of EUPD plays a part. It is possible to be dual diagmosis so both currently not assessed formely. I tried to remember my childhood but that was very difficult due to amnesia (loss of childhood memories of self) from thinking back over the years. I am 46 now....

Children
  • I did my assessment via the NHS video link. I found that much easier than having to travel to a busy city which i find overwhelming. I am so weary in this life that when the assessment came around ( i was waiting over 2 years because of Covid etc) that i didn't think anything about it, i just wanted to rule it in or out. I had scored 6/10 in a screening for ASC but i was still unsure because i was certain my main issue was PTSD which i had been diagnosed with in 1998 but for some reason my GP surgery no longer thought that was the case, then in March 2022 they gave me the C-PTSD diagnosis. So i've been upgraded from PTSD to even more severe C-PTSD. I just need a few more labels then i can compete in the world mental health bingo competition.