Autism or trauma.

Hi, I have been thinking a lot about my diagnosis which was given in 2022 as ASC / ADHD and c-PTSD. I was fascinated to read that psychologists used to believe Autism was caused by traumatic events because there are so many similar features eg the need for control, routines,sensory issues.

Apparently this is no longer the general consensus, and is now considered to be a neurological development issue - but i can also see why clinicians came to this conclusion previously.

The OT that i spent time with ( she is a very nice lady) told me that with Autism, it is present in childhood, i did have some traumatic childhood experiences but i have always been hyper-sensitive, anyway what i do know is that depression and anxiety are common in autism, and apparently caused by the fact autistic people are acutely aware that they are different and do not ' fit in ' i certainly agree with that.

I am also told that a person with Autism and ADHD looks different to a person with Autism because ADHD element can give the impression the person is more 'sociable' or ' approachable' having said that, i am told that Autistic people observe others and watch their behaviours and mimic them in order to try to fit in somehow. I think this is true for myself, although in the last 10 years i have given up ' trying to fit in '

One last point on trauma ; i have recently undertaken EMDR therapy which really seems to have improved the symptoms ( less flashbacks)

What are your thoughts?

Parents
  • I was literally told at my autism assessment on Tuesday that they cannot tell if I am autistic or if it's all my childhood trauma. I'm hoping to get my sibling to fill out a form within the next week so I can get it in and get a clear diagnosis but it seems that I'm more likely to just get "maybe"

It's frustrating but they're doing the right thing but as a friend said for all intents and purposes I am autistic and me and my definitely diagnosed autistic and definitely not traumatised Kiddo are so alike it's kind of hard to believe that they are and yet I am not?

idk I feel I know where the line between my trauma and autism is but I dont' think I can articulate that.

• Maybe raise with them that these things have been an issue for you even before the trauma, and tell them how similar you are to your untraumatised autistic child? Also, there are so few autistic people without trauma, and it's perfectly possible to have BOTH. It's good that they're thinking about it thoroughly but it would be a shame to be denied a diagnosis which you feel fits well on the basis of them assuming it's all trauma - especially considering the strong genetic factors with autism. All the best with it, anyway, whatever the outcome. 

• Maybe raise with them that these things have been an issue for you even before the trauma, and tell them how similar you are to your untraumatised autistic child? Also, there are so few autistic people without trauma, and it's perfectly possible to have BOTH. It's good that they're thinking about it thoroughly but it would be a shame to be denied a diagnosis which you feel fits well on the basis of them assuming it's all trauma - especially considering the strong genetic factors with autism. All the best with it, anyway, whatever the outcome. 

Children