Avoiding Hugs

Hi All,

I'm newly diagnosed with Autism. One thing that has come up a few times in my thoughts is I can now kind of avoid hugs with people I don't know very well (to be honest that feels like most people I see on a regular basis!)

I used to go along with it if someone initiated it even though I hated it but now I don't think I need to anymore. Does anyone have a way of avoiding hugs causing as little fuss as possible as I've noticed people seem to get offended if you don't want them touching you.

Sorry, I'm sure there's no right answer I'm just looking for tips / how others do it.

Eyes

Parents Reply Children
  • Yes, it's less romantic for most people but not what I'm interested in. I think that I'm very lonely recently and missing some intimacy and that's why I want to snog with people. Probably wouldn't like it some other time haha

• What about offering them a kiss on the cheek? Then it probably wouldn't be considered romantic.

• Because it's considered romantic and people would think that I'm flirting while I'm not. Even if I would say "believe me it's not flirting" I don't think they will believe it. It's just very romanti intimate activity to a lot of people which I understand. I've been to a kissing workshop tho. since it was in a setting of a workshop, no body misunderstood it. Search for one in your area Grinning