Time keeping

Hi, My 18 year old Autistic son really struggles with time keeping.  He's very private and spends a lot of time in his room, so I can't say categorically what the hold up is. He can spend literally hours getting dressed or putting on shoes. To me, a NT, he appears to be procrastinating,  but he won't (can't?) tell us why it takes so long. He misses big chunks of school - especially the lessons early in the day as he can't get himself up and ready in time. He says he doesn't need any help (he's newly diagnosed,  if that makes any difference!). Are there any strategies we can help him to put in place to encourage him to be better with his time keeping? I also think he's up a lot during the night, but he denies this. I'd really like to understand better how his mind works! Thank you. 

Parents
  • I'd really like to understand better how his mind works! Thank you. 

Good luck with that!  I have full unlimited access to my own mind......and I still don't understand much of the motivations and challenges that I face.  I don't state the above in jest - I genuinely think you would be wasting your time trying to understand how his mind works.  I can answer that by saying, simply, 'differently'.

My morning life improved dramatically when I settled on wearing identical clothes, in every single respect.  It is odd what calms us into functionality.

It is great that you want to help him - I think he should open his door more for you.  I would maybe start small and try to garner mutual agreement that when he becomes late, his door gets opened - to remind him it's time to go - and so you can be informed and calmed yourself.  That seems fair and reasonable to you both?

I wish you both luck.

Number.

• I'd really like to understand better how his mind works! Thank you. 

Good luck with that!  I have full unlimited access to my own mind......and I still don't understand much of the motivations and challenges that I face.  I don't state the above in jest - I genuinely think you would be wasting your time trying to understand how his mind works.  I can answer that by saying, simply, 'differently'.

My morning life improved dramatically when I settled on wearing identical clothes, in every single respect.  It is odd what calms us into functionality.

It is great that you want to help him - I think he should open his door more for you.  I would maybe start small and try to garner mutual agreement that when he becomes late, his door gets opened - to remind him it's time to go - and so you can be informed and calmed yourself.  That seems fair and reasonable to you both?

I wish you both luck.

Number.

Children
No Data